The YCCS has always been naturally predisposed towards respect for the environment and the impetus has grown stronger in recent years. In 2017, the year of the Club’s 50th anniversary, together with the launch of the One Ocean environmental project, YCCS volunteered to undergo a sustainability audit by SDA Bocconi Sustainability Lab. The audit assessed how sustainable the Club’s activities were and provided feedback on how to optimise them. The following are the steps YCCS has taken so far in its attempt to be ever more environmentally friendly.
Yacht Club Costa Smeralda building:
- All of the electricity used at the YCCS structure, the Sports Centre and the Race Observatory comes from renewable resources;
- In 2018 a lighting system was installed in the large bar area exclusively using LED lights (330 7 watt bulbs) and reducing estimated consumption from approximately 15 kWh to 1.5 kWh;
- In the suites a new lighting system (which included the installation of LED or energy saving bulbs) is activated using a card that automatically controls switching on and off;
- In the car park underneath Piazza Azzurra, opposite dock "C", a fountain dispensing drinking water has been installed and is available to all free of charge to encourage the reuse of bottles and containers; in 2018 4,200 litres of water were consumed - equivalent to reusing about ten thousand 500 ml water bottles;
- Staff areas within the structure were equipped with drinking water dispensers whose containers are recycled and reused in other production processes; these measures reduced the use of plastic bottles by approximately 60,000 units in the last 2 years;
- To discourage the use of disposable plastic water bottles, YCCS staff, regatta crews, journalists etc. were given reusable aluminium water bottles, these are available from the ship chandler in Piazza Azzurra;
- All single use plastic products were replaced with paper pulp and PLA, a compostable and biodegradable corn polymer;
- Ceramic plates, metal cutlery and polycarbonate glasses are used in the staff canteen;
- Dishwashing and surface detergents are biodegradable and do not contribute to the eutrophication of marine waters;
- All paper used in the hotel and office structures comes from sustainable sources or recycling processes;
- All materials used during after-race refreshments (plates, glasses, cutlery and napkins) are biodegradable and compostable; in 2017 14,000 PLA cups were used instead of plastic and 2,200 biodegradable and compostable pieces of cutlery;
- The flags used during YCCS sporting events are made from recycled nautical polyester;
- In 2018 the Boutique added the One Ocean “I WAS A…” collection of products made from recycled materials and dedicated to a circular economy to ensure sustainability and the lowest possible impact on our seas.
YCCS Sports Centre:
- Last year card-actioned distribution stations for effective control of electricity and water were installed. These give users real consumption figures and raise awareness of any wastefulness;
- A drip irrigation system was implemented in order to reduce water consumption;
- Recycling stations made entirely of wood were also added this year.
YCCS Sporting Activities:
From this year onwards all YCCS sports activities adhere to the principles contained in the Charta Smeralda.